Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Welcome to the 16th century




Yes, that is a triangular bandage that I earned by sliding head down a dolmen at my birthday picnic with mom. ❤
Obviously, I had to fabricate my own black bandage, because the one the doctors put on me was white and really distorted my vision since I always saw this big white thing in the bottom of my field of view. And of course I took the opportunity to decorate it with this beautiful brooch that I bought about a year ago (Sixx).❤

These are the dolmen (D45) that I slid off. However; birthday-at-mom-outfit. ❤



Bourtange
These are the plans drawn back in the 15th century. All of this was built and still stands today. ❤
Summer is approaching, so a sunny spring fair lured me to Bourtange, an hour driving away from home. Twenty years ago, when I was very young, my parents brought me to this old fortification that is now a tiny village. That made this trip even more interesting. I had a total nostalgia flashback of the candle makers (oh, that scent of wax!) and the square with the wooden horse (which is actually a replica of an old torture device)!

How can one not be totally in love with these little nostalgic streets?! ❤
For the Minecrafters amongst you, this is what sheers actually look like! And I guess the medieval soup is ready too! ❤

The village, nowadays, is all medieval themed. Late medieval. The pavement cafes at the small center place are served by medieval looking people, the streets are obviously made for walking and once in a while, a group of spear-men walk around the place, following orders of their commander. This play goes through the whole fortification and ends with a canon fire. Of course, the spring fair was all themed in this old fashion as well; in decorations and in drinks and foods. We bought some raw honeycombs to bring home to eat, nom nom!


❤ This was actually the perfect day to come, the weather was beautiful and the people were friendly.


These talkative pirate medievalians served us the sweetest and softest apple juice I had ever drank. Their stand had hinted to old pirates with the faux torches under their parasols and the barrels as tables.

Bourtange was designed and built as a star fort in the 15th and 16th century, to control the main road from Germany to Groningen, one of the larger towns of the Netherlands. During the eighty-years war, it was attacked, but the fort held. After that Bourtange suffered a couple more attacks, but it never fell. Then, in the 18th century, it was not needed as a fort anymore and turned into an agricultural village. Throughout the centuries after, it rumbled down and the moats filled up. about 25 years ago the village was reconstructed, the fortification rebuilt and the moats got dug up again, in their original star shape.

Here is a link to old photo's of Bourtange. Such a different world it was back then!

* Old Photos of Bourtange*



Mils and green grass, so Dutch! This wheat mill was easily de- and reconstructable in case of war. ❤
Walking on the counterguards. Bourtange outfit: dress by Donna Li, Tights from Coolcat and my home made sling. ❤

As a perfect finish of the day I plucked Elderberry blossom in the wild. The scent of these little white flowers remind me of when I was little. Mom used to make the most delicious lemonade and pancakes with them. Now, twenty years later I am the one making those ElderberryBlossom pancakes and lemonade.
Elderberry blossom1




No comments:

Post a Comment